450 Words Statement

Architecture is no longer just about a building and its design. It has and will continue to change and adapt over the years to embody different design thinking and will be multi-faceted.   That is why I chose design thinking as a preparatory study for architecture study at varsity level.
  •  The School:

To understand what MSA has to offer, I have researched and watched a lot of MSA Youtube videos to get to know the school, its culture and what they look and expect from the students. The vibrant campus and global student body will give me international exposure, opportunities to pursue my passion in innovative and critical design thinking that are critical not only to learning architecture but also leading to a future-proof career.
  • The City:

Regrettably I am no fan of football, but Manchester is a brilliant place to be inspired from.  Full of diversity, arts and culture, it is also rich in history and traditions, all of which I think can bring meaningful surprises to the classroom learning environment.

I worked briefly at Singapore’s National Design Centre and the decades old building converted into a modern office has captured my imagination since. Walking through the central courtyard each day, I noticed how the glass covered atrium made the sunlight perform different interesting shadow plays throughout the day. I was also impressed by how an age old building on the outside can be transformed to such aesthetic and functional cavities inside.  The interior has evolving spaces for events, flexibility in housing various activities, dynamism in studio and room configurations, translucent boxes cantilever to provide spaces for public and private uses. After talking with the architects and hearing them recount their stories, the challenges and journey in rehabilitating the old NDC building, the thoughts and inspirations that went into this building design became my favourite memory of this place. 

One of my favourite buildings is just a simple and normal industrial building in Singapore (the Wah Son @ Seletar Aerospace Park), but the deliberate care for the people they were building for drew me in. Wah Son was designed to make a space conducive to both machines and human, as well as inspirational to people for both work and leisure! 

The architectural work I hope to experience in MSA will comprise one or more of the following elements: 

  • 'Era' architecture where I can learn to appreciate them from an architect’s point of view. E.g. Westminster Abbey 
  • Their integration with modernity to withstand the test of time. E.g. National Design Centre 
  • The environment and people, how design can enhance the user experience within and interactions with their environment. E.g. Centre Pompidou, Paris

National Design Centre (@ Middle Road)


Wah Son (@ Seletar Aerospace Park)





Comments